Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Tuesday Stuff

Reading Omani's blogpost about liver got me thinking about the cost of certain food/ grocery items; something Grace mentioned yesterday.
Why is it that the 1 litre bottles of Volvic usually cost more than the two litre. I know there is the convenience of 1 litre, you can't carry two litres in a normal size bag (unless it's cider in which case it'll fit neatly under your hoodie). I love those 1 litre bottles cos I drink tonnes of water and they're real handy...anyway. Also if you buy a whole chicken it's always cheaper than just buying a couple of chicken breasts, it doesn't make sense to me.

On a seperate topic I was reading Midget Wranglers account of a nice Sunday morning in Dundrum Town Centre and I thought it was great to see a nice post about Dundrum. Why do people normally slag it off so much? As I said in the comments you'd swear Dudrum was the centre of all evil the way people go on. Now I'm not a Drummy Mummy or a Lady who Lunches but I just thought the need to defend Dundrum a little bit. Probably because I spent a couple of the most stressful years of my life on the construction of it that I feel sensitive. I also have one of those 15 year olds who likes to hang around Starbucks or BT2 or whatever but so what? Grafton Street doesn't put up with half the slagging....

And while I'm pointing to other bloggers; head over to Bock's and encourage him to produce another fairytale, the last one was classic. You'll really enjoy it.

10 comments:

Midget Wrangler said...

Aisling, as I said in my comments I think it's just we are self conscious of our better life style, we'll never be happy with ourselves and our bigger wallets! We're irish! I love it, and most of the people I know love it, It's really great with the young kids, if it didn't exist I'd be lost, sure you can go to the park but what if it's cold or raining and if baby falls asleep in the park you can't pick up a coffee or a nice pair of shoes!

aquaasho said...

You're right MW but why do they pick on Dundrum as opposed to Grafton Street?

When Grace was small Nutgrove Shopping Centre was a great place to walk around. When they're babies and too small for the park where else do you walk to to interact with other adults or just get out of the house? Great facility, the local shopping centre!

Omaniblog said...

I think I'll go to Dundrum next time I'm in Grafton Street. Should be easy to check it out.

You know I'm a bit sceptical about all this thinking and chatter about modern Irish people being uncomfortable with new-found wealth. As soon as I start thinking the opposite, I feel more in touch with the people, rather than those who observe them.

Have you got a Grace too? This is showing up the fact that I'm a new reader, who hasn't done his research.

Thanks for the mention. It's about time I spent some time here.

aquaasho said...

Yes Omani I have a 15 year old Baby Grace who is doing her Junior Cert next week! I think the name Grace is what brought me to your blog in the first place!

fatmammycat said...

What? Dundrum is terrific! Easy, cheap parking, clean bright, good mark 'n sparks. I go to the cinema there regularly. People are whingey twats.

The Evernoter said...

On the subject of less costing more, what about the price of those little whiskey bottles in hotel mini bars!

Thanks for your comment. Just so you are forewarned, Delicatessen is a French film, thus subtitled. I don't speak French any more than to order croissant and other such rudimentary tasks, but I also don't find subtitles a problem. If you've seen Amelie, you'll recognise the main protagonist.

Andy

aquaasho said...

Hey FMC, I'm a big fan of the Penneys there it's huge! And grapes from M&S, cos they keep them cool...yum and juicy!

Andy thanks for the tip. I don't mind subtitles. My favourite film of all time is Cinema Paradiso (it's Italian). Have you seen it? I just cry and cry, it's brilliant, not sad!

Bock the Robber said...

Thanks for the mention.

Omaniblog said...

I'm another fan of Cinema Paradiso.

I wonder why no one's said anything about whether Irish people are comfortable with new-found disposable income?

aquaasho said...

Bock the second fairytale was great! Thanks.

Omani it looks like our disposable income is dwindling if the news of house prices etc. is true. Worrying for me as I'm giving up work and we'll be dependent on one income!