Thursday, June 14, 2007

Happy Days


Just back from meeting the two kids we're going to tbe fostering. I wasn't half as nervous as I thought for some reason, don't know why cos I spend half my week being nervous before every single race but today I wasn't too bad. Myself and Grace drove down and Tony followed on.
We walked into the house and met the little boy first. He was so cute with beautiful blond hair and cute smile! He looked healthy and happy (they're with a foster family with other children) and initially he was shy and quiet. The little girl arrived home from school then with some of the rest of the family and the house was full! The two of them are gorgeous and appear to have settled into their short term foster family well. The plan is for them to be with us long term.
The little boy soon loosened up and was the centre of attention quite quickly! He was showing us his photo album and was quite chatty and asking us questions. The little girl was much more reserved, I tried asking her lots of questions and telling her about us and what we're like. It's hard for the five year old to understand what's going on. He took a real shine to Tony so that's a great start. I can see Grace and the girl getting on great, I'd say they will have music and clothes in common so that's a good start!

The other foster parents were lovely and gave us lots of advice and direction. They've been fostering for about 6 years and have done a great job, they have a lovely family; some their own kids, some fostered.
I hope it'll work out just as well for us, there's a lot at stake and I don't mean for us. These kids have had a hard life and they deserve to be spoilt rotten, but we can't do that either. I'd love if they were with us for a long time and were just like as if they were our own. Maybe that's selfish of me but I just want them to reach adulthood with happy childhood memories of raucous games of Monopoly and picnics in forest parks and summers in our holiday home and Christmases with hundreds of family members around them. Simple stuff....I feel happy now so I hope it continues. Another meeting next week in our house and a sleepover the week after. The moving in day is July 12th.

19 comments:

Mick said...

Phew!! Glad you're happy with the first encounter. It would be terrible if you came away with doubts. You all deserve to be very happy for taking such a courageous risk with your lifestyle. Looking forward to hearing more. Bet you don't sleep tonight.

aquaasho said...

Hi Mick. The nervous excitement has turned to worry now. Because there are now two little faces instead of something abstract it's now a worry about making sure we do nothing wrong to jeopardise their happiness.
I'm sure you must have similar worries about your Tony's beautiful kids, they lost their Dad so young, you must worry if that will have an effect.
We all just want them to be happy and have no problems right?

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm sure you all will be a wonderful family to these two. They're very lucky to be going to people that care so much about giving them a happy childhood.

I see how my uncle and aunt have raised their three foster kids and how they are the raucous, happy family you describe and I know it can happen.

aquaasho said...

Thanks Claire, it's early days for us bit I'm just hoping it all works out!

fatmammycat said...

I'm sure it will all work out darling, it sounds like they're lovely kids, and how nice for them to have met a future lovely set of parents.

Midget Wrangler said...

I am so happy for you, They sound lovely, typical little boys and girls, just remember to breathe!

aquaasho said...

Thanks FMC. I'm more nervous now than before I met them. I suppose because they're now real.

Hi MW. They are lovely and believe me there are many sharp intakes of breath when I wonder what's ahead!?

Midget Wrangler said...

You'll be great Aisling, It's a new adventure, and that's obvioulsy something you thrive on. They sound so lovely, and you are now only momnets away from your own party of five!

aquaasho said...

Cheers MW! Back to work 2moro for two weeks after two weeks off. Killer!

Ellen said...

How exciting for you all! I just know it will all work out fine. You have a lovely family already and now it will be a bigger lovely family!!

Only two more weeks at work?!!! Hope they treat you real nice there since you'll be leaving soon. ;)

aquaasho said...

Yeah Ellen, they're treating me so well I have lots of time for blogging! The countdown is on....

Anonymous said...

Hello

The Evernoter said...

The home you imagine for these two is such a wonderful gift to give. It sounds like the amount of time for the placement is uncertain, but from reading your plans and lists, I'm sure their time with you, however long, will stay with them forever.

Andy

Midget Wrangler said...

It's lovely the way people are giving you support through the blog, it's understandable that you are nervous, but as every one says you'll be fantastic. Two weeks to go in work, the butterflies must be starting up in your tummy!

aquaasho said...

Hi Andy, the thinking among the social workers is that it will be long term but who knows? We'll be hoping that any kid who stays with us enjoys their stay, however short!

Hi MW, it is great getting support. When I write about the kids I hope that people don't think I'm looking for pats on the back. I'm really just getting worries off my chest. And yes the butterflies are building in relation to work- it seems so final. (You know me so well!)

Omaniblog said...

I'd like to add my best wishes.

aquaasho said...

Thanks Omani, your project with your son has given me inspiration for something to do with the kids (it'll have to be anonymous because of their situation) but even just a photo blog or something maybe with their artwork. I really loved your idea! It has me thinking.....

For anyone who is interested, here's a link to explain Omani's project http://omaniblog.blogs.ie/2007/06/17/fathers-day-celebration-launch-of-a-new-blog/

Itsnopicknick said...

Never underestimate what you're doing. It's very brave and you will make for happy well-rounded children simply because you care so much and have so much love to give!

aquaasho said...

Oh I hope so Spoon and thanks!