Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Are you a List-Maker?



I make lists.

That's what I do. If I have something to do I will break it down into smaller pieces and write it all down until it gets done.

This is my second last day of my job and I've only just today realised that that's what I do for a living. If a job has to be done on site, I develop a list of sequentail checks in order that that item of work gets done correctly and then I go out to the site and tick it off.

In real life I do it cos I'm so forgetful. Take for instance this evening I am race director for the mountain race in Tibradden. There are lots of duties for a race director and the organisation involved has the duties on their webiste. But there are always other things to remember in a practical sense so I've been busy making lists this morning of all I have to remember. They're not always neat and tidy lists, I quite like it when they look a bit scruffy.
The busier I am the more I need the lists. I'm useless at remembering things like what day Grace has home economics at school or when Tony will be away. But there are other things I never forget such as numbers. My husband calls me "Rain Man" as I never forget numbers; credit card numbers, RSI numbers, hotel booking references etc. If I say a number once it never leaves my head. Kinda useless in this day and age where we can store everything in our phones but Tony finds it amusing....

11 comments:

Mick said...

Are you left-handed by any chance?

aquaasho said...

Not any more Mick but as a child I wrote with both.

Mick said...

Sounds like you're a right brainer. Might explain why you ended up in construction. Spatial awareness and all that stuff.

aquaasho said...

Aren't you in Engineering too Mick?

Midget Wrangler said...

Can't remember names or phone numbers but I can remember what people were wearing or what we ate from years ago! I make lists too, but then I have lists of lists:-}

Mick said...

I served two engineering apprenticeships (marine (at sea) and mechanical (down a mine)) and have an engineering degree but work in IT now (sort of). And I'm left handed along with half the people in IT.

aquaasho said...

Wow is there that many lefties in IT? I took the architectural route Mick but ended up working for engineers/ contractors. Marine engineering I'd say is fascinating, would love to have had that sort of opportunity. You'll have to write a blogpost telling me what that's like Mick. Sounds brilliant.

The Evernoter said...

I'm a big time list maker. However, I have problems crossing things off lists as they look untidy with all those lines through the text!

I moved to online lists recently and am fiddling with GTD http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GTD which is working for me.

Very interested to read you are doing some race directing. I'm about to do the same thing and am trying to find out all the duties involved. Anything you can point me at?

Andy

Bock the Robber said...

I do numbers too.

When I was a teenager, I used to win pints by betting people in the pub that I could multiply two three-digit numbers instantly for them.

I can't do it any more cos I'm too old and drunk and drug-addled, but I still make lists as well. And I'm not left-handed, but I was always very good at maths, as well as numbers (which isn't the same thing). At all at all.

Also, I can sing badly, though that probably doesn't count, but at least I try.

bennyboy said...

Note and lists are the only way I survive. Used to be good old fashioned paper (and still is sometimes) but now they get transferred into the phone or else I just forget them completely.

I'm allegedly very intelligent but you'd find it hard to prove that when I can't tell you what day of the week it is.

aquaasho said...

Hi Andy The race I drected was a mountain race and it was my second time. Very nerve wracking the first time. I could tell you lots but the easiest thing to give you pointers is this.

http://imra.ie/?sec1=roles&id=1
Contact me directly if there's other questions you have as this list is specific to Irish Mountain Running Races.

Bock if your talent for numbers matches your talent for words you must be the Carol Vorderman of Limerick!

SL I must work out how to do notes on my phone as it's the handiest way to store things isn't it cos it's always with you! And who needs to know what day is it anyway!?