Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Be Careful What You Wish For.....


If it wasn't for blogging I don't know how I'd sort out all the mush that goes on in my head. I have so much going on at the moment that at least when I sit and write some of it down it kinda straightens out a few of the issues.
I ran last Sunday in a trial race for the Irish team for the European Mountain running championships and managed to gain a place. Luckily for me it wasn't downhill (just 3 miles uphill) or I'd never have managed it but uphills suit me. Anyway gaining this place has left me a slight feeling of sadness of what I will be missing out on by accepting this place (which I have accepted BTW). First let me say that an opportunity to run in an Irish vest is a HUGE honour and I am very pleased and grateful to be able to run and will be very proud on the day itself. But this is a personal blog not a running blog so here are some of the issues: I will miss out on my best friend's wedding.

We've been friends since school, she's one of those people I admire most in the world, she's getting married in her own unique and special way and I am going to miss it. I phoned her yesterday, than called up and broke the news. She was very understanding, as all good best friends are, but I am so disappointed. So disappointed was I, that I have offered to make and ice her wedding cake. Never having done anything like this before, you could think this was a huge pressure but I'm actually looking forward to it. As long as the cake is unique to her and doesn't poison anyone I actually know she will be happy. So all is good, but if you have any helpful suggestions post them here. She just wants a sponge cake (I know I know it means it has to be cooked right before the wedding and not weeks beforehand but I'm off work) and (rough) butter icing, 3 layers. This gives me something to think about other than the lifelong happiness of 2 new children and a race in France in which I will likely be last!

The second thing I'm missing out is running related. The next attempt on the Wicklow Round is planned for 30th June. So I miss out on being in the first group of people to complete it. And Tony will have to be without me.

The third thing I will miss out on is the next few Wednesday night races on the mountains which I was growing to love but I need fresh legs for France so will have to ease up and I was doing quite well and the competition was heating up!

Anyway the cake is the issue now. I better get googling......

19 comments:

Thomas said...

Apparently it's not just me who is affected by people's weddings coming at the most inopportune weekends as far as running is concerned. Except that my wife would kill me if I missed the weddings.

As for missing those things because you qualified for the European Mountain running championships, my sympathy is limited, I'm afraid. This will be such a great experience for you that I really can't bring myself to feel too sorry for you.

Congratulations on gaining a place!

aquaasho said...

Thanks Thomas. I suppose because it didn't feature in my plans (my husband says I am a nutjob for making lists and everything having to go to plan etc. etc) that my brain is having a hard time calibrating it. Seriously I'm probably just crazy and I know you're right about the opportunity. I should be relishing it.

Also I missed a wedding last year to run in the Scottish National 50k Championships and my husband was so not-pleased to be going to a wedding without me and getting asked every ten seconds where I was!

DraconianOne said...

Well done on getting a national vest! Still one of the highlights of my life (and I'm sure I still have it tucked away in a drawer somewhere).

Unfortunately, two weddings this year clash with events I'm going to, one being the OMM in October. As it's my hatchlings godmothers wedding and my wife is chief bridesmaid, I'm under strict orders. The other event is a marathon (which would be my first) and it's the day after a wedding so is doable. Admittedly I haven't trained for it but meh, never stopped me in the past! :)

aquaasho said...

So Dragon, are you doing the OMM or going to the wedding? And which marathon are you doing?

Mick said...

Glad it's not just me with date clashes. My daughter's graduation ceremony is on the day of my (our!) 25th wedding anniversary so we'll be in Nottingham instead of Venice as planned. Then to top it my nephew decided to get married on my 50th birthday next year so I had to cancel all the arrangements for that. C'est la vie.

I suppose wearing a national vest is a fairly special occasion (not one I'm likely to experience). Enjoy it for those of us who can't.

aquaasho said...

Yes Mick I feel better now that everyone else is missing out on special occasions and not just me (Oh Venice would have been great!). The evil side of me has emerged and I'm now wishing for rain every day for the next 2 weeks so that the Round attempt cannot go ahead without me. MWOAAAARRRRRRRR (That's meant to be an evil laugh....sorry)

Ellen said...

I am sooo pleased for you! An Irish Vest. Wow. I'm impressed Aisling!! Well done.

As I am not much of a cake baker can't help you out there but I think it's a pretty fair trade off for missing out on the wedding!

If I come across anything I'll pass it on.

aquaasho said...

Thanks Ellen, I had a go last night at the sponges and it was disastrous so I intend getting lots of practice!

DraconianOne said...

Can't offer any tips on cake making (although intend to have a crack at your banana muffin recipe soon!). The marathon I was thinking about is the Fairlands Valley challenge near Stevenage (http://www.fvspartans.org.uk/maps-fvc07.html ) which I gather is a casual checkpoint, compass and map affair. However, will be at weddings for both OMM and that. It's the trade off for being allowed to go play on other weekends!

aquaasho said...

Sounds great Dragon. I love the training for those events the best. Long runs in the hills with a bag on my back and I'm happy. :-)

Dan said...

If it wasn't for blogging I don't know how I'd sort out all the mush that goes on in my head.

No kidding? Blogging does just the opposite for me. It confuses the heck out of me. Just kidding.

I, for one, think you're a very sweet friend for being so concerned with being unable to be in two places at the same time. Very nice of you to offer to make her cake!

aquaasho said...

Oh it's not sweetness Dan it's purely selfish, I don't get enough opportunities to wear a dress ;-)

Itsnopicknick said...

For the record...i missed my best friend's wedding and she seemed very understanding (as i as stuck somewhere in the Sahara desert at the time - pretty good excuse if you ask me)...anyway, she's been pissed at me for years. It's kind of passive agressive but it's tehre and it doesn't go away!!!!

Ellen said...

Where abouts in France Aisling?

Midget Wrangler said...

Congratulations Ash! Thats amazing, as you said your friend is one of those friends who is always there for you, your bond doesn't rely on favours buts it's lovely that you are making her the cake,I make cakes for friends, it's always a special gift. You could do a three tier sponge, chocolate butter cream on one, lemon on another and just vanilla on another. Then you could use ready made ready to roll icing to decorate, maybe make a few little flowers, daisys or hearts, just with little cutters, or fresh flowers or frosted rose petals for decorations, one the roses are from your garden or you know they haven't been treated with pesticide you can eat them!

bennyboy said...

Wow. Huge congratulations Aisling - it sounds like a great honour!

aquaasho said...

Spoon you have me worried now! Nah I think she is really ok, hope so.

Ellen it's in the Midi-Pyrennees (Cauterets I think is the name). I've ran in the Pyrenees a couple of times and absolutely loved it so I'm hoping it will be semi- familiar territory!

MW you have given me lots of ideas-VERY much appreciated. I may come back to you for more details!

SL it is a great honour and I am thrilled. And considering how busy I am these days, there was always bound to be some clashes.

fatmammycat said...

Congratulation for gaining a place. You must be so proud! Well done.
And nice of you to offer to make the cake too, you're right about your friend, a good pal would hate for you to miss out.

aquaasho said...

Thanks FMC. Well done on your long run!

I now have two weeks to become an expert sponge maker!