Monday, June 11, 2007

Another Week Off

brigid and andys wedding 025

Cracking weather we're having and I still have a week off work! Woohoo! Because of the sun I'm spending more time flat on my back soaking it up in the garden than doing all the work I should be doing round the house but hey, you have to make the most of the rays when you can eh? (As soon as the exams are over it'll start lashing right?)

I have done some work though: I've been trying to sort out school places for the new arrivals. We'll meet them for the first time on Thursday. Pretty nerve wracking! Have to get some gifts for them and for the foster family they are currently with.

I was blogging here and here about our all female Clonliffe team of super mountain runners. The Wicklow Way relay (120k over 8 legs) is a great event, nothing like it on the running calender. Some photos here.

Just back now from a visit to see my Dad in his nursing home. One can go from crying to laughing in seconds on one of these visits. They sometimes keep him in a chair when his level of aggression is up. It's dreadful to see him in it and also this aggression is something that was never there his entire life and is only there now because of frontal lobe damage so it's not nice. There are some funny moments too, usually involving the other residents. One of the younger ones was asking my Dad if he ever smoked a spliff, if he was a dancer, if he knew the words to "Young hearts, run free..." Luckily for us this place is a million miles from Leas Cross and is really nice actually.

Next race for me is the trial for the European Champs, which I have little chance of making but it's also a Club Championship so will give it a go. It's uphill only which suits me down to the ground because I'm not one for the downhills!

I'm just watching Bear Grylls on Discovery Channel scree running down a hill and eating a zebra which looks like it could still have a pulse. I love his programmes, he's just amazing! Right now he's getting a warning from a hippo!

Oh and the wedding was great last week. Tony's sister got married last Thursday and it was a brilliant day. I had to run out an hour and a half before the wedding and buy a new dress but at least I got one I was comfortable in.

brigid and andys wedding 031
Me and Grace and the beautiful bride.

Grace's exams are going well, thanks to everyone who sent good wishes! She'll be finished Friday!

13 comments:

Mick said...

Sorry to hear about your Dad. You can only use these times as life affirming experiences, as difficult as it is.

Good luck with the European trials. Those contour lines are pretty tightly packed on that course. I'd be ok if they did a downhill version.

Did you see the Bear Grylls episode where he drank the liquid squeezed from elephant dung? I'd have to be well dehydrated to resort to that. Thankfully there aren't too many elephants on the Jungfrau course. Not since Hannibal anyway.

aquaasho said...

Thanks Mick, we had much more difficult times before he lived in the home, so at least there he is well looked after and out of danger.
Yeah I saw the cow dung thing when he was on Jonathan Ross, I'd say if you had smell-o-vision it would have been much worse to watch!
As for the Euro trials, it's up the highest mountain in this part of Ireland so bound to be tough. I don't mind the uphills as much as the severe downs!

Journey to a Centum said...

Looks like you had a fun family event at the wedding.

Glad to hear the exams are going wel for Grace. I'm sure she will be happy when she writes the last one.

Enjoy the day!

aquaasho said...

She'll be thrilled by Friday Eric, that's her last exam.
Im looking at that countdown clock on your blog Eric and it's moving pretty fast now! You must be looking forward to the big day now and enjoying your vacation!

Itsnopicknick said...

Oh, sounds wonderful! Wish I were sitting with my feet up too!!! You have been busy since i was here last though so i don't really know what you mean about being lazy! Lovely pics from the wedding! Sometimes it's nice to have something to get all dolled up for!

aquaasho said...

Yeah Spoon, it's not often I get to wear anything other than jeans (besides running gear) so it's good to be girly every now and then in a dress!

Dan said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I hope you're enjoying your time off (I'm finally taking some time off in July, first week off in over a year). Your dad sounds like a real sweetheart. I'm sorry to hear about his situation. Hugs to you and him.

DraconianOne said...

Heh! Downhills are easy! Uphill is too much like hard work. Good luck with the Champs!

Midget Wrangler said...

You guys looked fab! Grace is beautiful, you're right she's the image of you, I'm only catching up now with your blog! only two days left for Grace, hope weather improves on Friday for weekend. Good luck tomorrow with the new weenies! You'll be great, they'll be so nervous too I'd say! I'll be thinking of you guys, and sending you some good vibes! (God I sound quite Hippish!)Good Luck!

aquaasho said...

Thanks Dan, I know you lost your Dad recently, so you're very kind. Hope you enjoy your time off (you'll need it to recover properly from that mammoth walk!). Hugs right back at you and Laura!

No Dragon, downhills are evil! That's when everybody passes me as I wave my girly arms in the air shouting aaaarrrgghhhhhh! (Penelope Pittstop Style).

aquaasho said...

Thanks MW! We are nervous. Just got back from buying presents for them and the family. What do you get an eleven year old girl that isn't babyish yet not too grown up? Anyway I got beach towels and bathroom bags and nail stuff, sound ok? Spiderman gear for the boy! Thanks for thinking of us, will let you know how it goes!

Midget Wrangler said...

Ash,
Sounds great, exactly the kind of stuff they will like, and I don't know the exact situation but I'm sure they want to be spoiled and babied a little bit, I know I still do and I'm 34! Lots of luck, I'll light a candle for you in the morning (I'm not a devout catholic, but it's a ritual now).

aquaasho said...

Thanks MW!