Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Aquathon

The swimming continues. For my endurance swims I'm up to 750m. So I had my first sea swim today and was surprised at how it went. I didn't seem to mind the cold, though today wasn't particularly cold so that probably explains that. Swallowing sea water was a pain in the arse though. What was going wrong was the fact that I kept panicing, for reasons unknown to me, and stopping and standing up. I have no idea why. I couldn't swim further than a few metres without stopping. Other annoying things include my goggles letting in water the whole time. God only knows what's gonna happen at tomorrow night's Aquathon I've entered but I'm hoping that in a situation where I HAVE to swim that I'll just get on with it. Here's hoping I can complete the 750m. Otherwise I'll be gutted.
On the positive side apparently I was swimming in a straight line and that's good.

6 comments:

John Mc said...

Its par for the course, I've been swimming for longer than I remember and open water swims still bring a slight touch of panic. Straight lines are very good! I managed not to do that successfully in the triathlon last weekend and I also had the goggle problem - put them on as tight as you can bear, spray some anti fog on them also.

Are you wearing a wetsuit for the swim ?

aquaasho said...

Yeah John, I have a wetsuit for it. Lots of bouyancy in the legs and flexibility at the top. Thanks for the advice, it's good to hear!

fatmammycat said...

God darling, you're so brave. I would be very fearful in open-ergo deep-water. Well done Aisling!

Jo said...

I panic too - I think about things I don't need to!

Buy better goggles!

I paddled with my daughter yesterday evening, and the pain was fierce! More power to you.

I used to swim in the sea all the time when I was a kid, but it's maybe once or twice a year now, and only because of my daughter!

Journey to a Centum said...

Hey, at least you jumped in and started swimming. The lack of lane floats and a line painted on the bottom really reeks havoc with my swimming. I swim in a 40' dia. circle to the left in open water.

A marathon friend of mine was a total non-swimmer two years ago. He sank like a rock. Now he's headed to Kona to compete in the Ironman championship! He barely made it under the cutoff at his first Iroman. His second he was sub 60 min.

You can do it!

aquaasho said...

Thanks so much for the support. My stomach is churning all day.