Monday, April 02, 2007

Connemara Ultra 2007

Well myself and Tony completed our third Connemara Ultra yesterday. It really was great. I know that's hard to believe if you are someone who has never run long distances but it really was. We both always enjoy Connemara. I know there's the usual cliches about the scenery but it genuinely is incredible and it does make you think about something other than running.
You know if you are running a race and you have to stay focused and not drift because then you slow up, well Connemara is one of those races that you actually want to drift off. It keeps your legs at a slow pace and that is quite hard to do for the first 13 miles. You really want to hurry on and get a few miles under your belt, but the thing to do is go easy.
I've done all 3 ultras in much the same time, and the 3 parts in 3 even splits of 1:50, giving me a finish time of 5:30. This means I'm actually speeding up for the last 13 because it's uphill mostly. I actually fly in feeling absolutely great, huge rush of adrenalin when you get to the top of the hell of the west and then flying in the last 2.3 miles. Jaysus it's great!!
The miles absolutely flew by, I couldn't believe how well it went, luckily for me. It's such a well organised event. Ray really must work full time at it.
Liam, Gary and Tony all ran PB's and the girls all had super runs in the half, along with Eugene. Lots of familiar faces down there too but unfortunately because it wasn't a secure baggage area I couldn't bring my camera. I took some photos the day before of the scenery but I forgot the uploading cable so will have to post later!

Next up is the adventure race 21st April. Scary this, as I'm a big wuss on the mountain bike and my legs will still be tired for the run and I'm no canoeist!

Update: photos from the day before in Connemara.

3 comments:

Thomas said...

Congratulations on a great race. I ran the ultra myself and finished in 5:40. I think you were the girl that stormed past me at mile 35, just after the bridge (before the Hell starts). If it was indeed you, then I'm in awe; you were flying while I was crawling. Well Done!

aquaasho said...

Hi Thomas, well done on your race. That sounds like me. I always take it easy at the start and plough through the last 13, really enjoying myself! I probably went out too easy cos the sun scares me, afraid of overheating! I hope I said 'hi' to you! Are you planning any more ultra's?

Thomas said...

I can't remember if you said 'hi', but that doesn't mean that you didn't. My brain was fried at that point. I know that I said 'wow'. That wasn't meant to be a stupid comment or anything, I was just amazed by your pace, and that was all my brain could come up with at the time.

In contrast to you I probably started a bit too fast. But I'm more than happy with my race. I'm toying with the idea of more ultras, but haven't come to a decision yet. I think I want to lower my marathon time first.

All the best!