Tuesday, April 03, 2007

The Chipper in Naas


After visiting my Dad in Naas last night Tony, Grace and I had our usual post-marathon splurge. It usually involves fish and chips in a supermacs in Moate or somewhere but since the soup and sandwiches after Connemara were so good the splurge was postponed till last night. There's a sit down greasy-spoon-type chipper in Naas and it serves massive portions. Great big heaps of fish and chips and beans and anything else you want to shovel into your face for a well-deserved feast.
In general, I'm not a fan of chippers outside Dublin. They are never Italian and therefore never any good cos they serve frozen chips. But this chipper, being just inside the pale, I think, is brill and is Italian.
We resisted the urge to grab a McFlurry on the way home. Angels we are.

10 comments:

Kav said...

Now you're talking...I'm salivating at work after having had a flippin banana and an apple for lunch!

Mick said...

Been looking for such a chipper. Where abouts in Naas is it?

aquaasho said...

Hi Kav, that fruit lark just makes you hungrier and then you eat more! (That's what happens me anyway!) And I take it you're not offended by my anti-culchie-chipper bias? (only against their chippers not the culchies).

Mick it's near Barkers Book store, called something like Capri or Cipriani or something. Super food!

I used to love Harry Ramsdens on the Naas Road but they closed down. There, you could have beer and mushy peas with your food (and kids could get their faces painted on a Sunday afternoon)

aquaasho said...

It's called Capri.

Kav said...

Not offended, not. What happens with me is I love the idea of fish and chips, but whenever I get them, they're disgusting - a soggy greasy mess. The nicest place I've ever had them is in an Italian place called Equi's here.

That said, McDonagh's in Galway is fairly good too.

Kav said...

not at all, I meant. D'oh.

Itsnopicknick said...

If I had just run a marathon...I would not even have blinked before scoffing down a McFlurry! you're so disciplined!

so how'd you get in to the running thing? write us a post on it.

aquaasho said...

Hi Spoon, Mondays post was about our ultra-marathon. The decision to not go for the mc flurry's was more to do with having eaten my own weight in fish, chips and beans than any (non-existent) self-discipline!

Mick said...

Hi, thanks for the best wishes on my Jungfrau blog the other day. Love your blog. Great to see someone just getting on and enjoying life. A bit cruel with the fish and chips though. Hadn't had them for years cos of high cholestrol.

P.S. Not the same Mick as previous comments.

aquaasho said...

Hi Mick
I'm really looking forward to Jungfrau, I'd rather run up a mountain than down it any day!
And you can't even have the occasional bag of chips? Aw