Thursday, December 21, 2006

Reasons for Running/ My First Marathon

A lot of people start running in an attempt to lose weight or get fit or be healthy. I don't fall into those categories even if I did want to lose weight/ get fit/ be healthy. Those just aren't my reasons and I'd say for most they aren't the reasons people keep running especially after those goals are achieved.

When I started running 3 years ago at the age of 32 (I had run as a child but stopped as a teenager) I had one purpose and that was to complete a marathon. I looked on this as the ultimate goal and looking back now it really was. Now matter what running goals I've achieved since, even completing or even winning much longer ultra events, nothing would ever surpass the magnificence of training for and completing a first marathon. I had an image as I stood on the start line of ''putting my head above the parapet'' for the very first time in my life. Other more important events had occured in my life, like having Grace or getting married, but for some reason though this seemed to be a much more public endeavour. I was on my own, stood on the start line with tears in my eyes, scared sh*tless of what was about to occur and more fundamentally scared of FAILURE. What if I didn't complete it? What if I just collapsed in a heap at 18 or 20 miles. I would have been devastated beyond comprehension.

It was May 2003 when I decided that I was going to enter for the Dublin City Marathon in October of that year. So I thought I better start running and went out in my Penneys gear and ran about 2 - 3 miles. It wasn't that bad but it took a few weeks for the feeling to subside of "I just want to stop" the whole time I was out. I had plenty of trouble along the way, I should have done what I would do if I was tackling anything now, and that is, read a book telling you how to do something properly. I didn't know about increasing mileage slowly or taking water on board. I wrecked both my knees by July of that year and could barely walk never mind run. But they did heal and I got myself up to 17 mile runs on my own at night through Clondalkin and Tallaght. Not to be recommended to any woman running solo. I tried a 20 miler, on my own, without water, and collapsed at 17 miles, puking my stomach up on the Belgard Road.

But there I was that October, tears welling up, on the start line. I stayed well at the back too scared to be in the crowd. And then the gun went and then nothing. No movement for a couple of minutes which was really spooky. And then we were off. I was fine for about 12, 13 miles but I hadn't taken on enough water at the earlier stations. Tony was on the course on my Vespa scooter but I didn't see him between miles 10 to 18 and there was no water at 15 so I was dying! I was so thirsty I even considered taking a gel! Lucky enough I ddin't as that would have made thigns much worse. Eventually I got to 18 and Patsy and the Kiernans were there in force with Tony. I was in so much pain at that stage. I was too mortified to stop and walk. By 20 when I saw Lucy it felt like someone was beating my with a club and saying ''stop runnning!''. The pain was incredible! I kept going.

By the time I crossed the line at just over 4 hours I was ready to collapse. I did manage to walk to the baggage area where Eugene was. I cried and cried for ages, having no idea why really. I remember speaking to a woman who seemed to completely understand, even though I thought I was the only one to cry after their first marathon. From all accounts it seems to happen to almost everyone.

I met Tony at the meeting point and collapsed into his arms. I went home in a taxi, puked a few times and got into bed. I could barely walk for a whole week, luckily enough I was off work as I was changing jobs.

Nothing will ever live up to that first marathon. Getting yourself there is the biggest battle. Months of training and personal commitment. But the sense of achievement far outweighs all the pain. People talk about their 'marathon moments'; something special that sticks in their mind about the day or something that happens along the way which makes them sure they're going to make it. I can't think of one particular moment from that day, it was the whole experience, tears, pain, pride, everything.

I trained for my first marathon on my own but soon after Tony took up running too and we both joined Clonliffe harriers. It's been great and we've had 3 wonderful running years since. we've travelled to some amazing places, the Pyrennees, the Alps, Chicago, New York and hope to add to that list in the coming years. We've also made lots of new running friends with whom we've shared some real life changing experiences.

Here's to many more successful, happy, healthy running years!

2 comments:

fatmammycat said...

Thank you for this, I've really got my work cut out for me it seems!

aquaasho said...

Hi FMC
You will be fine!I think I was trying to say that one can make an absolute mess of the training etc. and still get through it on the day (although it helps if you don't!). It's all in your head on the day. If the determination is stronger than your legs you'll get through it. That's what makes a marathon different from any other race which is just about running fast! If you ever need company for the long runs I'll gladly join you!