Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Blog stuff

I'm taking it easy today. It's one of those days when I'm not able to run, go to the gym and none of my friends are available for coffee. So I have a morning at home, blogging (over at TGU and 4nines).

I've signed up to be a judge at the blog awards, thanks to Damien, Midget Wrangler and Someone Living for the prompt. I know I don't blog that much myself but I read lots of 'em and thought it would be fun to get involved.

Training is underway for Rotterdam Marathon. Well one long run down anyway. The reason I can't excercise today is because I'm having some physiological tests done in Trinity tomorrow and you're supposed to be rested for those. I've heard words like "you run till you drop" so I'm suitably worried. There's needles and blood tests involved too apparently. I'm told that what I'll get from the tests will be that "the heart monitor will become my best friend". I've never been a runner who used a heart monitor. When I race I just run as hard as I can and when I train I just jog. So it will be interesting to see if the heart monitor changes any of that. If I improve then that will be a bonus.

3 comments:

Midget Wrangler said...

oh no...needles and things! Jesus your really selling running to me! Is it to do with the oxygen level in your blood?

Journey to a Centum said...

No friends for coffee? You poor thing! Our club is actually a group of coffee drinkers with a running problem. We have folks who will miss a run but never miss coffee afterwards. You need to pack up the family and move to Puyallup. We had over 22 runners packed into Starbucks this morning.

Running with a heart monitor helps train you to run better without one. I ran with one for years and now I seem to be aware of when I'm pushing too hard. It's best for those training runs to keep you within a desired HR. Really helps with your stamina.

Don't be surprised if the testing at Trinity isn't as hard as you expected. Unless they are real hard core the staff usually shuts down before you do. I'll be interested to hear how the test went.

Now you have me checking out Rotterdam Marathon. So many races so little time.

Stay strong!

Eric

Jo said...

Sounds good Eric - I'm not sure what's worse, the blood and needles or the running til you drop!