Wednesday, September 19, 2007

World Mountain Running Champs 2007


Just back from my second trip to Switzerland in 2 weeks! I'm glad to be home and get on with normality for a while as it's been hectic lately. The race itself went ok for me, would love to have done better but at the same time I had something to prove. I had debated pulling out of Jungfrau marathon in order to be fresh for the World Mountain Running Champs the week after. But I had trained for a few months for Jungfrau and was looking forward to it and really didn't want to not run. It's probably odd to some that I thought much more seriously about pulling out of the World Champs and allowing someone else run. But that was how I felt. I was looking forward to Jungfrau and dreading the other!

So I decided to do both.
So I had something to prove.
Because I was second in the Irish trials I wanted to be second Irish home.
And I was, so that initially made me happy and relieved.

But coming 69th in a race of 86 women wasn't going to make me happy for long, but maybe next year I would train properly for the trials and do better on the hills (and not run a mountain marathon the week before, if I did qualify!)

Anyway back at home all is good. Grace is gone to an adventure centre in Fermanagh. I miss her already. Grace is much more like an adult now and I can talk to her about the kids and what she thinks of certain things to do with school or whatever. When she comes home from school it's like another adult in the house, not a kid, and that's kinda reassuring.

The above photo is of me with Jonathan Wyatt, 3 times world mountain running champ, and winner of the Jungfrau marathon the week before. I must put it next to my Paula photo!

10 comments:

fatmammycat said...

Well done, that's such a terrific achievement, you must be so delighted with yourself.

Ellen said...

Well done Aisling. I am so glad you achieved what you set out to do. You astonish me with the amount of races you run.

I know what you mean about Grace. They become young ladies so fast. Hope all is going well for your little ones in school.

Ewen said...

Wyatt is a legend. But, did you get to meet our Aunty Jac? The best mountain running ex-world champ triathlete in all of Aus. But so far, not quite as good at long mountain runs as Emma...

Journey to a Centum said...

Hope you can get your feet up and have nice long nap or two after these two big events! I think the travel and lodging can be more exhasting than the actual race. It certainly combines for the double whammy!

Having run an number of doubles and back to back weekend races I feel that I will run stronger the more I run. It does not seem to make much sense but my marathon PR came on a tough hilly course after two other back to back marathons.

Enjoy getting back on pace at home and congratulations on your race. The woman who won your division with a 39 and change must be from some other planet.

aquaasho said...

Thanks FMC and Ellen, would love to have done better. You get a lot of stick when you run internationally, people expect you to be Sonia O' Sullivan or something. But we're just normal joes not full time athletes or even people who can train twice a day. I did enjoy the experience though.

Hi Ewen, the Aussies did great! But I don't know Aunty Jac! And who's Emma?

Hi Eric, thanks for the advice. I'm not too tired after the marathon but I have a feeling this year of big events will catch up on me soon!

fatmammycat said...

I have a question of you don't mind. Is there anying in particular you eat to replenish the energy reserves after a long run?

fatmammycat said...

I have a question of you don't mind. Is there anying in particular you eat to replenish the energy reserves after a long run?

aquaasho said...

Hi FMC, there is a theory that if you get some protein and carbs into you within 20 minutes of a long run that that is the ideal. I personally just end up eating my dinner usually! Tony (the husband) alway downs a lucozade sport straight away, to replace energy. As a novice I was often sick after a long run, so couldn't eat and then got headaches - not good. I reckon if you manage to eat something normal, and you sound like you eat healthy anyway, then you'll be ok.

fatmammycat said...

Thanks misus.

Anonymous said...

A little off topic, Guys... I have a question. Last week I played around this site:
[url=http://www.rivalspot.com]Rivalspot.com - Wii Live Tournaments[/url]
They say you can play online NHL game tournaments on any console for cash... had anyone tried that before? Looks like a cool idea...
Are there any other sites where you can play sports games for real moneys? I Googled and found only Bringit.com and Worldgaming.com but it looks these guys don't specialize in sport gamez. Any suggestions?