Thursday, March 15, 2007

Fostering and the Changes Ahead Part 2

Been thinking a lot lately about the changes ahead and that makes me think; if it's scary for us it must be frighteningly awful for a child. Myself and Tony have finished the course that we had to do and we're also about to come to the end of our assessment. So it feels like it's all about to start.

There are simple things to sort out, even in a practical sense.

1. We have to have a daily routine going, something that hasn't been done by us before because we've both always had to work and were never at home during the day. I love making lists so I intend to do a daily schedule and try stick to it, that way we can hopefully have time for everyone's needs. Can't spend all our spare time running anymore!

They have a couple of children in mind for us and we have been thinking about them a lot, even though we know nothing but their age and gender.

2. Saturday morning TV is something I've not done since Grace was tiny! Looking forward to it.

3. Budgeting for holidays throughout the year, instead of booking one (or 3 or 4) and going! No more running trips together that would involve being away from the kids for long periods. But we can still do the odd marathon/ ultra but just seperately and once we have established we can afford it. Maybe a trip to Disneyland every 2 years!

4. A regular grocery shopping day: lunches for 3 children for a week, dinners for 5 for a week. Might make up a menu plan for each day and shop for the ingredients. Saw a hint on some website about doing an excel document with your shopping list and putting an x next to what you need, filtering out just those and bringing that list shopping. We need to do that as we often come home with things we have 3 of already and forget to buy what we actually need.

5. Get involved with GAA or soccer. Definitely want to bring the kids to some kinda match, must talk to some of my family members about this, as me and Tony know nothing. The zoo is also a place we haven't visited in a while. We did lots of things when Grace was small, now we can visit all these places again!

6. Have a board game night. This is something even Grace loves and it's rare to find something that kids of all ages like. Also that could include the game Buzz Junior which gives a 4 year old as much chance of winning as anybody. Maybe have a movie night, once a month? And a baking night!!!wOOt!

7. While I'm good at using my camera all the time, I want to make sure I start using the camcorder a lot of the time to record special events for children in our house. I can't wait to get started.

8. Memories, life books and treasure boxes. Keeping things safe for these children is going to be a serious priority for us. We got so much inspiration from the course about this.

9. Budget for different expensive times of year, besides holidays such as; back-to-school time, Christmas etc.

10. Maybe do a parenting course or read up on those kinda books I haven't read since Grace was born.

11. Bikes and wellies for all.

12. I plan on trying to get involved in some kinda community things, I don't know what cos I haven't a clue what exists but it might be something to involve the smaller child or it could be something I do while they're at school. Also plan on keeping better contact with my friends who are stay-at-home mothers. They're all such good parents, well behaved kids, healthy food, all that kinda stuff!

13. We have to buy some new furniture for the rooms to cater for the new arrivals. We also have to finish decorating the hall and kitchen. Do the back garden, including deck. Turn the office into a room, hopefully for Grace. Get a new front door. Organize all the junk that currently clutters the kitchen.

I'll probably add to this list as I think of things. On Friday we will find out more about the prospective new arrivals, we have so many questions. I'm so excited though.

2 comments:

Itsnopicknick said...

I think it's amazing that you will be fostering some children. I hope that you get some lovely children and that you're able to enrich their lives!

aquaasho said...

Thank you, that's very kind! We hope so too.
Greetings to South Africa! I visited once and loved it so I intend to read your blog with interest!