Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Navel gazing? - 101 things about me

I've read a few blogs with '101 things about me' so I've decided to try do the same but feel I will probably run out of things at about 20 so here goes. Is this what they call 'navel gazing'?

1. I love to eat.
2. I love to run.
3. I remember the day Grace was born like it was yesterday and not 15 years ago.
4. I don't drink at all because it just makes me dehydrated.
5. I stopped smoking 6 years ago and that alone was life changing.
6. I wish I was an astronaut (love to go to the moon).
7. I hate not being in control which is why I'm no good at running or cycling downhill.
8. I love making lists and getting through them.
9. I wish I played a musical instrument (piano maybe).
10. I would never have believed in all that soul mates muck till I met Tony and now it feels a bit like we're one half of the same person, very Bert and Ernie.
11. I hate moody people.
12. Earliest childhood memory was aged 2 after drinking bleach. Lots more accidents followed.
13. I'm the youngest of 12 children.
14. Still find it hard to believe my mother is dead and that's after 8 years.
15. Favourite books are non-fiction and almost always about human endeavour e.g climbing Everest etc.
16. Favourite music of all time is probably The Smiths and Radiohead.
17. Favourite song of all time is Town Called Malice by The Jam
18. Movies: Cinema Paradiso, ET and To Kill a Mocking Bird.
19. No matter what we earn, we spend, so Tony and I have never had any money and never wanted for anything.
20. Always wanted a big family.
21. I drive a Beetle (for now), am selling it soon.
22. I'm essentially a very happy person.
23. Audrey has been my best friend since school.
24. We own two homes, the plan being when we're old enough we sell one and live off the proceeds.
25. My fastest marathon time was Chicago 2005 in a time of 3hours 13minutes.
26. The only pets we've ever had (besides fish) were two rabbits.
27. Favourite body part is my arms, least favourite is the shortness of my legs.
28. I hate bad manners and bad punctuation/ spelling. Especially when people leave a space before a backslash.
29. I have quite a severe fear of heights. I get dizzy and want to fall over at the thought of being in a high building or structure.
30. My middle name is Mary.
31. I'm really unphotogenic, every picture of me is bad.
32. I always vote Left.
33. Love holidays (don't we all!) but we don't go on half as many as we used to. Running takes up a lot of time and weekends away etc. I miss all the city breaks we used to have just for fun.
34. My job involves working mostly with men which is great as you don't have the bitchiness associated with working with women and I have found this to be true. The men I've worked with have also been much more open about their private lives and feelings than any woman I've ever worked with. That has surprised me.
35. I have scars from chicken pox which I got when I was 18 and doing my Leaving Cert. I sat my Aptitude Test for college with a face full of chicken pox sores. I remember thinking: I'm in a room full of people going to all corners of the country and I have a contagious disease....
36. I never forget any number, whether it's a sixteen digit credit card number or a hotel or flight booking reference. Tony thinks it's freaky and calls me 'rain man'.
37. I have size 4 feet. Handy for the sales, most women being size 5 or 6 and up and I can also fit into kids shoes.
38. I have a huge fear of failure. This became quite apparent before I ran my first Connemara Ultra. The thought of not completing it (which was a possibility since I'd never ran 39.3 miles before) was making me cry a lot.
39. I one dressed up as Wonder Woman for a fancy dress party. Tony was a lounge lizard.
40. I have a Diploma with Merit in Architectural Technology. Grace and my parents were at my graduation.
41. I have been running for 3 and a half years and have run more Ultra Marathons than Marathons.
42. Some day I want to climb Everest.
43. I once met Jamie Leigh Curtis getting onto the Channel Tunnel (Eurostar).
44. I won prizes in school for baking and English.
45. Only Tony gets who I am. He seems to understand.
46. I received contamintaed blood products in 1991 (Hep C/ Anti D Blood Scandal) but luckily didn't contract anything.
47. I cry easily at movies, even crap movies. You know that scene at the end of saving Private Ryan where the now elderly Ryan breaks down at the graveside and asks if his life has been worth it? I find that unbearable.
48. The first car that technically belonged to me was a Renault 5 that I never actually drove.
49. I've had a lifetime's ambition to drive an Aston Martin. I read a blog once where someone said they had always wanted to do this and Aston Martin arranged it for him. You never know.
50. When Tony met me he said I was the only girl he had ever met who watched/ taped Top Gear.
51. I am right handed.
52. I got married in Rome.
53. I hate crowds or being round lots of people (odd for someone from a large family?!)
54. I have blue eyes.
55. I've never lived more than 15km from the house I grew up in.
56. My husband Tony's real name is Robert.
57. I can get my toes in my mouth, if i want to that is!?
58. I hate scary movies.
59. And rollercoasters.
60. I am extremely stubborn.
61. I don't drink alcohol.
62. Tony and me judge every restaurant on how good desserts are. We love Eddie Rockets.
63. I passed my driving test first time at the age of 25.
64. I'm obsessed with flickr photos, I think it's fantastic!
65. Myself or Tony never pass a homeless person without giving them money (or gloves).
66. The number of the house I grew up in.
67. I did a gardening course once. I propogated hundreds of plants, gave loads away, then moved house and now have none of them myself.
68. I learned to type properly when I was fifteen.
69. I have a huge collection of shoes (not expensive types) but get to wear any of them rarely as I wear steel toed boots in work at all times.
70. Favourite food is Italian.
71. I own 3 bicycles.
72. I've been clay pigeon shooting twice and loved it both times.
73. I went to the first midnight screening of Star Wars Episode 1. I'm not normally a fan.
74. I love camping.
75. I love rain.
76. I once owned a beautiful racing green Vespa scooter for 4 months. It had a brown leather seat.
77. It was stolen from outside my house.
78. I'm very analytical.
79. I haven't made a Will.
80. I don't know why I like to blog.
81. Family nicknames for me are Asho and Ashbox(?). Some workmates call me AK cos they think I should have my husband's surname. I find that quite sweet for some reason.
82. I never drink coke (or any other fizzy drink besides water).
83. I can juggle to balls one handed and 3 balls two handed.
84. My blood type is O-Neg. (related to point 46).
85. The kiddy-catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang bang is the scariest film baddy of all time. My niece can't watch it without Tony being there to bash him.
86. I love idealists and those who strive for things.
87. I've never bought or sold anything on e-bay. But I have searched on it for moon astronaut stuff.
88. I reckon I eat twice as much as a person of my size.
89. I absolutely hate when people make noise as they eat or the noise they make while sucking their fingers when they eat. The noise drives me crazy and I can't eat myself then.
90. I can't dance.
91. I'm going to the Olympia theatre in 2 hours to see 'Tom Crean'. *Went to see it last night, it was brilliant, must do a post.*
92. I love buying stuff in Penneys but you can't help thinking with clothes that cheap that someone is being screwed over.
93. I can't sleep on my side if my knees are touching. Have to use a pillow or I'm in pain.
94. I was a vegetarian till I was 20. Started eating meat again when I was expecting Grace.
95. The first album I ever bought was 'Everything But the Girl's' Love Not Money.
96. I am a person of complete polar opposites. I have lots of really-girly-pink-fluffy tendencies on the one hand but am also one of the toughest people I know on the other. Everything with me is either black or white, no grey areas.
97. I once went to a modern ballet with Audrey and we had to leave as we could not stop laughing. We found it to be the most hilarious thing we had ever seen even though it wasn't meant to be.
98. We had gotten free tickets and met our Business teacher at it.
99. I love buying jackets, they are my favourite item of clothing.
100. I used to be great at de-cluttering and throwing things out. That was until Tony built us a walk-in wardrobe and now I can't bear to throw anything out.
101. It has taken me three days to write this list (not continuously).

3 comments:

Jaime said...

Hi Aisling: I came to your blog searching in the internet for blogs of people who have finished the ulta tour du Mont Blanc since I have 2 days ago resitered for the run in 2007.

I am very impressed and I don´t know really if I am crazy or not for trying. It must be very very hard this effort without sleeping 2 nights.

Your country is beatyful and Irish people are great. I was in Wicklow 3 years ago. I live in Malaga (Spain).

Good luck

Jaime

www.hilario.runninginspain.com

aquaasho said...

Hi Jaime

The UTMB is a brilliant event and we all think we are crazy for doing these things. It helps if you have someone to run with but it is not essential. My husband and friends have entered again this year but I have other goals and will be there to support.
The effort of not sleeping is not the worst part of it, if you have the willpower to go on you will keep going. Always remember that the urge to sleep will only last about 3 minutes, its just like a craving, and if you can push-on for those 3 minutes you will keep going (do not stop in the mountains to sleep). Also if you are very fast you may have time to sleep in Cormayeur or Champex Lac.
For our training we did lots of runs (about once a week) lasting 6 or 7 hours and sometimes starting to run at midnight. It would also be good to spend 8 to 12 hours out on the mountains doing lots of walking.

I have looked at your blog and it looks very impressive. I will try and translate some of it.

I hope you enjoyed Wicklow and if you are ever coming back to Ireland let me know.

Thanks for your comments. You are the first peron to comment on my blog. If you want any advice let me know.

Aisling

Jaime said...

Thank you again. I will be happy to say hallo to your husband in Chamonix :)

I love the french Pyrinees and every year I go with my wife and two children there to ski. This year we were at Bareges near the Col du Tourmalet, but last year we were at Font Romeu, this fantastic little village. I saw the announce for the run.

Thank you very much for your advises.